Monday, December 1, 2008

I Think I Hate Christmas


I have such a bad attitude this year. I just get so sick of everything Christmas related, starting around Halloween. I get sick of everyone talking about the "magic of Christmas" or "Christmas miracles" Come on. Are we so depressed the rest of the year that we have to look towards a bloated, over-commercialized holiday to bring us out of the funk? I personally think that sitting at the pool on the hottest day of the year is pretty magical, but you don't hear me going on about it. 

Let me just say that I hate the word 'holiday.' Take your generic holiday and shove it. We all know that Christmas is December 25, and its the light at the end of this (long, holiday) tunnel. Quit dancing around it in efforts to be PC- we're not doing the Jews any favors by referring to it as "the holidays." (By the way, Hanukah goes on until Dec. 29 this year, but I bet you won't hear boo about it after the 25th). 

But what I hate the most about this crazy Christmas frenzy is the pressure to fill my calendar with social events, shopping outings and long trips. I'm done! I'm going to enjoy my month off school as just that - a month off. I'm not going to stress about going to parties, white elephant gifts, toys, trees or decorations. We'll do the two things we've already committed to - a weekend in Des Moines, and skiing in Wisconsin (who could say no to that?), but other than that, don't expect me to get out of my p.j.'s! 

Okay, I'll say a word about the meaning of Christmas. On the 24th, I'll be as spirited as anyone, reading the story of Jesus' birth and singing soft hymns at a candlelight Christmas eve service. I love Jesus. I am humbled by the fact that he came to earth and died in my place. I think about that all year long, not just starting at Halloween and ending Dec. 25. I don't need tinsel and mistletoe to remind me that I am a sinner saved by the death of my King. 

Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post!

Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i'm with you on the whole "holiday" junk. it can't really be politically correct if it's still offending someone, lol. i can't say i'm with you on the lack of enthusiasm towards all things christmasy this year...i throw myself into the festivities with reckless abandon, it's my absolute favorite time of year! i love so much about every season, but this time of year always tops the list :-D