Monday, November 17, 2008

I Ain't Never Gonna Talk Good

Earlier this week our friend Isaac came over to hang out and watch the baseball game ( I'm not really sure which one?).  Somehow we got to talking about how people's bad grammar is really annoying. Derek gets irritated when people say "irregardless" (its a double-negative; the word is just 'regardless') or "doin' good" instead of "I'm doing well" when asked how they are. I was saying how in my line of work, I often talk to people who are, shall we say, educationally-challenged (though I hope that I show a little more compassion than my sarcastic husband!) Anyway, I told them how two of my biggest grammar pet peeves are when someone says "flustrated" instead of "frustrated" and "ideals" instead of "ideas." So the next day I get a text from Ike that says, "I have some flustrating ideals I need to talk to you about." That made my yucky day so much better!!

7 comments:

Paula said...

Here's another one to add to your list...... 'a whole 'nother.... I've heard people on the news say this, and they're supposedly well-educated people, right? I mean really - if you can't learn to speak well on the news - GET OFF the TV. (Rank me right up there with Derek as being a little harsh on this subject.)

Let me just say that 'nother is NOT a word. The correct way to say it would be 'another whole'......

And let me also add that Annabel is just precious. Can't wait to squeeze her again.. and see you and Derek too, by the way!

Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i've honestly never heard anyone say "flustrated"...maybe it's a special word to describe when you feel both frustrated AND flustered? hahaha. i too hate grammar mistakes, but my biggest pet peeve is the they're/their/there mistake people make in writing. spelling mistakes in general annoy me, as do punctuation errors.

but yet i refuse to use capitalization, lol. i'm such a non-conformist :-/

Lynsey Grant said...

You just haven't talked to dumb enough people. Believe me, they're (their? There?) out there!!

Anonymous said...

Got to say my husband says reckon! And it drives me crazy! I guess I'm always going to be around it since his side is in the back country! My neice says AIN'T!! Oh my!! Also been meaning to tell you those diapers you posted about-my friend's hubby works there! Small world!

Lynsey Grant said...

A few others that Lynsey forgot to mention. When someone says they "seen" something. "I seen it" are you serious? Also, like Whitney said, aint is pretty bad. "I aint seen it" is the worst.

Derek said...

Actually that last comment was from me, i just forgot to log in.

Tera said...

You can add me to the grammar police. ;) Alex often mentions I should have been an English teacher. Although, I will admit I do say "I'm good." sometimes! Living down here in Amish country, we hear all kinds of hick things. One of the most annoying is "Where you at??" instead of "Where are you?"