Thursday, July 24, 2008

Camp - days 4 & 5

Yesterday we had an exciting day with Nora here. That child is a bundle of energy! It was definitely a job keeping up with two children....not really sure how people do it all the time. After she left I realized just how nice it is to have only one!
With the help of two of the campers, my little junior nannies, we were able to do a lot of fun things. We played on the playground, swam in the baby pool and ate ice cream! By the time I took her home, she was fast asleep in the car:)
 
 
My little helpers

Then last night, I had to go into town for class and to see a client. While I was gone, the kids helped the Mephibosheth campers do the Giant Swing. 
 
A enjoys all the extra attention!
Mephibosheth Ministries is a group from the Indianapolis area that works with people who have different disabilities. They bring a group to camp every year, which always coincides with our week. It is cool, because the kids have a chance to step outside of their comfort zone and team up with a person that is much different than him/herself. I admit that I was very uncomfortable with it the first year (5 yrs ago!) but it was a great opportunity to step outside myself and see that none of us is all that different. A physical disability can happen to any of us at any time, and it is important for me to remember that I am no better than anyone else just because all my parts are in working order for the time being. 
Today I was gone again for most of the afternoon seeing clients. While I was gone, my mom took A to the pool to watch the kids, and much to her surprise, she acted like she really wanted to get in! (Usually she hates being in the water) That led to some impromptu swimming with clothes on, and I could not believe the pictures! My little girl was putting her face in the water, kicking and splashing, blowing bubbles, just having the time of her life! What a knuckle head!

  
Brian and Ethan playing a quick game of Corn Hole
Peace.

A perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments: