Monday, October 6, 2008


The last couple weeks have been more or less uneventful (which is nice!) Derek was home all weekend, so we got to enjoy hanging out as a family. Saturday I spent cleaning, while I should have been studying. I have a midterm this week already! But I decided instead to scrub the hardwood floors, as I've been noticing a "smell" lately. Not really an identifiable smell, just an overall musty, "dirty" smell. And since I have never cleaned the hardwood, I decided it was time for a deep cleaning. And I must say, it felt great! Though we have been on the outs for the last year or so, cleaning and I have had a lifelong love affair. I do so enjoy the immediate gratification of a little sweat and elbow grease.....and there's just nothing like sitting down at the end of the day in a nice, clean home. It is very rewarding. 
Also last week, I somewhat finished a painting that I have been working on all summer. It isn't quite done, as I need to go over some of the see-through spots again, but here it is:
    
I'm not super-thrilled with it, but it is probably the best thing I have ever done. It certainly has taken longer than anything I've ever done (probably about 12-16 hours total). So I'm proud that I completed it and it has given me a lot of practice. I think I'm going to donate it to our church's Harvest of Talents this year - a craft auction that donates 100% of proceeds to world hunger. If I were to sell it I would want to get probably $250 for it - approximately $15/hr plus supplies, so we'll see what it goes for at the auction. I may be disappointed, but that's okay. Now I understand why art is so expensive!
Annabel has been cutting her two bottom molars this week. I feel so bad for her - it looks so painful! Here is a snippet of what we've been experiencing the past few days! 
Poor thing!
I need to take a few minutes to say what an amazing husband I have. I know I've said it before, but he is such a good cook! Sometimes I forget how lucky I am. He can seriously make something out of nothing - I could look in the pantry/fridge/freezer a thousand times and not be able to come up with anything, but he can make the most incredible things out of pantry staples. Earlier this week he made a venison tenderloin that almost melted in my mouth along with potatoes au gratin (the real kind - layers of potatoes, cream and cheese baked to perfection, not the awful boxed mix that my mom used to make;). I was amazed. I really wish we could afford for him to stay in culinary school, because he has such a gift. 
Anyway, I need to get back to studying. Sorry for the lack of pictures - nothing too exciting around here! I'll leave you with this:

2 comments:

John and Heather said...

I really like your painting... You did a great job on it!

Paige said...

Are you kidding, you painted that?! It is beautiful, but even more so b/c I know you did it. I'll buy a painting of ours anyday!! Let me know, I'm in the market for something with butterflies--(that's sophie's room theme.)
colors: rose pink, lavender, and burgundy. How's internship going...I'm drowning with stress and low on hours.